Lisa has been active in the exercise profession for over 20 years as a clinical exercise physiologist, fitness centre manager, fitness writer and presenter, and group exercise instructor. She is the creator of the website, whyimove.com, which has a mission to answer the question of why you move, one person at a time.
Lisa's primary passion is physical activity and exercise, and the promotion of both passions in health care. She believes physical activity is a main pillar of health for preventive medicine or chronic disease management; and, her experience in medical fitness spans many medical conditions including cancer, diabetes, COPD, cardiovascular disease, multiple sclerosis, and a range of other health ailments. Lisa attends various conferences and workshops for continuing education as she strives to grow as an exercise and health care professional.
In addition to being certified as a Clinical Exercise Physiologist (CSEP-CEP), Lisa is:
- a Good Life with osteoArthritis Denmark (known as GLA:D) Canada Therapist
- an Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association (AFLCA) Group Exercise Leader and AFLCA Trainer of Leaders,
- a Can-Fit-Pro Pre & Post Natal Fitness Specialist,
- an Urban Poling and Excel Nordic Walking Instructor,
- and, a Yoga Association of Alberta's teacher of Hatha Yoga (500 hour level; RYT-200).
She enjoys instructing group exercise classes such as indoor cycle, and is thrilled to 'pay it forward' through training Alberta’s new fitness leaders and instructors.
Professional Awards and Recognition
- One of Edmonton’s ‘Top 40 under 40’ by Avenue Magazine in 2016,
- awarded recognition as a Global Personal Trainer to Watch Top Ten Finalist by worldwide leader, Life Fitness in 2015.
- 2012 Alberta Certified Exercise Physiologist Recognition Award,
- and, 2010-2011 University of Alberta's Campus Recreation Building Block Award.
Lisa is an active and influential member of her local fitness and health communities too! While striving to educate herself further, she also helps to spread the word on proper fitness and health practices for all types of people of all different age groups.
- Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology, member;
- Exercise is Medicine Canada, member;
- IDEA Health and Fitness Association, member;
- Can-Fit-Pro, member;
- Edmonton Emerging Health Leaders, member;
- and, Yoga Alliance, member.
- Alberta Centre for Active Living WellSpring publication, Editorial Advisory Board Member,
- Alberta Centre for Active Living, Research Advisory Committee,
- Nourish Move Thrive, Advisory Group member,
- and, contributing writer for the AFLCA's Pre-Postnatal Manual.
Over her professional career, Lisa has also made TV appearances and has been quoted for her research in academic health and clinical exercise publications. View all of her Media & Publications.
How does Lisa move? Lisa is an avid Nordic pole walker, yogi, and cyclist- and when she is on her active adventures with her family, she likes to practice her other passion: photography. Feel free to check out some of her photographs here!